19 August 2009

Why Do People Hate Facebook Games?

Recently I wrote a post on my main blog about why I'm not on Facebook. Basically, I feel like Facebook is on the last 5 of its 15 minutes of fame and I'm ready for everyone to move on to something else. However, there is one aspect of Facebook that is tempting to me -- the games. Every time I hear about something like Farmville or Lexulous, my resolve to stay off of Facebook weakens. I love the idea of playing a game online with my friends that isn't a shoot-'em-up or a World of Warcraft clone. The only problem is that I know I wouldn't be able to get anyone to paly with me.

My real-life friends barely check their email accounts, so I know that games are out of the question. The big surprise is that many of my online friends hate the Facebook games. I've read many comments on Twitter and blog posts from these friends saying that they will un-follow or block people who send them requests to play. I don't get it.

For me, being online has always been about expressing myself and having fun. Lately, though, the internet seems to be all about networking if you are over the age of 12. Does tending a virtual farm really make you look bad to a future employer?

2 comments:

The Surge said...

I think Restaurant City, Farm Town and Crazy Combi (Crazy Taxi, Peruvian version) are good to start off. If there were an Age of Empires or pro wrestling game you can set me up!

Unknown said...

There is a new Train game on Facebook-- TrainSetGo. You can model a railway system and design your own train in it:

App: http://apps.facebook.com/trainsetgo/
Fan Page (for more description): http://www.facebook.com/pages/TrainSetGo/191875898323